Saturday 18 February 2012

I can only reiterate: Ness is Genius!

Monsters of Men
DONE!! It was a gruelling read but oh my goodness it had me in its clutches that I just couldn't escape. The end was painful to read, I  had to keep stopping, steeling myself to be brave and hoping against what seemed like all hope that Ness was going to be gentle with me - which he wasn't - at one point I was enraged with him - how could he???? But then he redeemed himself spectacularly. I really don't like to give anything away, but all I kept thinking was I would never, ever in a million years picked up these books to read and do you know what, I would have missed out! Never have a set of books moved me so emotionally before - the style is simple but the themes are HUGE, a proper young adult book that some power driven adults would do good to read! I can not recommend these books enough - I was in awe from an artists point of view how exceptional Ness is at gripping the reader, making them question what they know and be utterly devastated by the events that happen essentially through words printed on a page! My heart still aches when I recall some things from these books - they will live with me forever! And strangely as hard as they were to read, it makes them all the more special! Thank-you Patrick Ness!


2 comments:

  1. Do you miss the book now?

    I find I mourn wonderful books when they are over.

    Sft x

    Don't forget the VERSATILE BLOGGER AWARD I gave you!

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I missed it but the relief was huge when they were finished too.
    Thanks for thinking of me regarding the blogger award but I don't feel that I am in a position to pass it on just yet! But thanks - maybe when I have some free time and can spend it blog hopping I will do it!

    ReplyDelete