Thursday 26 July 2012

New Focus - New beginning

I have been very preoccupied at the beginning of this year with my studies that I didn't have much time to think about blogging. However, over the last few weeks whilst adjusting to the fact that I don't have an essay to write or an article to read, I have been thinking about the purpose and direction of my life and blog. I have spent many a morning blog hopping, gathering ideas and inspiration from around the world! And I have decided to make this a record of achievements that we as a family as well as me myself, are working towards.

I have been undoubtedly affected by the enthusiasm and dedication of one particular blogger who made me realise and acknowledge my dream of travelling. Reading SFT's blog has rekindled my dreams and made me realise that with a little hard work I can too achieve not only mortgage freedom but the freedom to travel as well. My life's ambition was to travel the world ~ so I left school and went to work in a travel agency because this is how I thought I was going to be able to finance my dream! (How wrong was I??)  I fell in love and married him, we bought a house and soon filled it with two children. The stresses and strains of life overshadowed everything and before I even realised it, my dream was pushed onto the proverbial back burner. We would talk of life when the children grew up and the things we would do then - however, there is no guarantee that we will get that and besides, surely the children will benefit from seeing some of the world for themselves too.

Just after my second child, my son was born I embarked on a long journey and another dream of mine, to become a teacher! I decided to study part time so that I could also be there for my children whilst they were growing up. I have just finished my degree, and am planning on working for a year before applying for teacher training. I know that once I become an established teacher then we can seriously start reducing our mortgage and saving up for our travels. But I don't want to become too focused on the future and forget to live in the moment either, so I need to find the balance...

I have had immense fun putting together a list (I love lists!) of the places I would like to go and the things I would like to see. It is not exhaustive by any means and I am sure I will be adding to it more than I will be crossing off but I know that we are going to have even more fun achieving them... Have a look under 'Places to go and things to see'. 



Till the next time - enjoy the weather.

  

2 comments:

  1. I too dream of travelling around the world...even now overland travel is still on the list.

    Oh, you can do it Vicky! I know you can..aim for those big dreams and have some small adventures planned along the way.

    A Teacher's long holiday lends itself to travel after all! LOL!

    I would love to know how you make different sections on your blog..e.g. your 'list of places'. I've never found out how to do this.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sft, I am sure that with a little dedication anything can be achieved!
      About the different sections - those bits come under 'pages' on my blogger profile. I am not so sure half the time about this blogging malarky but did happen across those pages...
      Hope that helps,
      Vicky

      Delete