Sunday 24 March 2013

Catching up on a Sunday.

My Sealed Pot This week I have managed to squirrel away about £30 in my sealed pot - oooh I so hope we get enough money for our Iceland trip. Since making my sealed pot I have a few other pots which are not sealed for putting in our coppers and some small silver for parking fees in the summer which always seem to quadruple when the sun shines. (I know that is wishful thinking: Summer) My Book Last night I finished the journey that has had me in its grip for a few weeks now. It was such an enjoyable read and I wished I had read it sooner rather than leaving it for so many years. I know that I am a bit behind the hype and criticism of this book, so bear with me if you have been there and done it already! What really struck me about this book was the cleverness of the way in which it was written and presented to the reader. I haven't read a book with such a cyclical structure before and I felt that it worked spectacularly well. It contains in essence six stories all connected by the books overall theme but are also linked in some very imaginative ways which begins in the early 19th century and move on to various eras and follow different characters including the two set in our future. All the stories are abandoned in order to hop into the future and follow a different story until we reach the sixth story which is the furtherest in the future and then we move back through the ages in chronological order and revisit all the stories to see the conclusions until we end with the first story we visited at the beginning. For me, this book really did make me stop and think about how we live our lives and the impact our decisions will make to our Earth in the future. I really don't like giving any type of spoilers away when reviewing a book, because I don't want to ruin anyone's enjoyment of reading what will become their story. All I can say is if you like books that don't conform to what some may perceive as storytelling rules, then dive in and enjoy this book. It is so different from anything I have ever read before and I can't wait to see the film, just to compare visual images really and whether the big message I got from this is conveyed in the film too. Because we need a wake up call! I am now in that lonely place of not having an escape at hand, so I am looking for my next book to get lost in.... I have a few projects to finish, namely the sofa and a few others I'd like to re-start, namely the big chunky blanket for my bed. I'd better get on with it... Till the next time xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment