Sunday 20 January 2013

Day twenty - word of the week!

I had a few challenges that I set myself at the beginning of January, but some of them have fallen off my list of important things to do. Some of them, like blogging everyday, have been more successful. I did want to keep a few 365 day projects but they have been difficult to continue as they are time consuming so instead of giving up, or just forgetting about them, I have decided to adapt and change them a little bit.

One of my goals was to write everyday. Whilst I was doing my degree I found that writing everyday helped me to combat writers block when it came to the assignments, and I didn't want to lose the craft of writing now that I have stopped studying. I wanted to do what some writers call 'morning writes' which basically means as soon as you wake up you write for 30 mins without stopping to edit or cross out. Over time this will provide you with the practise of being able to write without worrying about what you are writing as well as giving you some very good ideas that you may want to develop further. Unfortunately for me, the morning isn't a good time as its so hectic. So I have decided to be a word collector instead and hopefully turn my cache into a poem or a short story, depending on what comes along I suppose.

Sometimes I find that a word comes along and makes me stop and think. A few weeks ago whilst doing 'The Times' crossword and flicking through the dictionary I happened across
WANDERLUST
I have since seen this word in other places too and which really sums me up at this moment; a longing to see places, to wander. I would love to lose myself among the lakes and mountains
Of The Lake District! This is something I should start researching...

Till the next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment